Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Too Much Technology

At a high school in Alexandria, Virginia there is an English teacher who thinks that technology is partly causes a lack in student learning. According this teacher, student simply point click, type and click again to find the answers. There isn't any thinking going on, simply searching the computer for an answer is not becoming proficient in subjects such as math, or writing. The English teacher has been at the high school for 30 years and feels like the school simply implements new devices or programs simply because they are available.

I have mixed emotions on this type of article. I can completely see where this man is coming from. However, I also see a great need for technology to be included in the classroom. Whether we like it or not technology is and will be a major part of our lives. I also think that the teacher may not be setting proper boundaries for his students; if used effectively computers and computer programs can be a great way to teach new skills.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/08/AR2008020803271_2.html

No comments: